You may remember when I yarnbombed The North Berkeley Library for their opening in April - the knitting got taken down by the library the next day . At that time I vowed that I would get permission to put them back up , what ever it took . I knew that I needed to wait a while – other wise the library could feel like I was nagging . I wanted them to feel like this was something good and pleasurable – not arm twisting . After much waiting and thinking I came up with this – I proposed that I would put up new knitted tags on a date of their choice and remove it on a date of their choice . It is true I can’t argue – the knitting can get very dirty when it is up for several months . There was some slow negotiating and I finally got permission. After waiting for 2 months I was feeling pretty neutral , I was ready to do get those yarnbombs sewn up and get it done .
I put up 2 new knitted tags and 2 old ones from the failed April yarnbombing . My friend Nancy helped me sew the first time helped me put them up again which was nice and symmetrical . I think the piece looks darker and calmer - that’s good , it’s how I feel .
For the last 2 months , every time I have driven past those bike racks I have looked over at them thinking the knitting might be there again. Now the bike racks finally look like they have been in my imagination all this time . They looks warm and well permitted.
An article in Berkeleyside here