So what do Spiderman and yarnbombers have in common? Other than the obvious-We both can shoot webs out of our hands and fly around?
1. Spiderman wears a disguise. Wouldn’t it be great to get to wear that Spiderman disguise while your yarnbombing? Though it would be hard to see out of the eyes I think. I would dearly love to wear a pirate outfit while I yarnbomb. I wear a pair of sunglasses.
2. Spiderman is out all over the city interacting with everyone. You can’t hang around at home all the time and be a yarnbomber.
3. Spiderman is anonymous-totally separate identity from Peter Parker. Being anonymous, making up a new name is truly really wonderful and empowering. I suggest a secret identity for everyone.
4. Spiderman has been bitten by a bug. Like us.
5. Spidey sense. OK- no joking around, you need your intuition as a yarnbomber -to make good art, pick good sites and to keep out of trouble with The Authorities. The first time I yarnbombed my intuition said ” Sit down and wait until the police car drives by-then sew up your yarnbomb.” I sat down , eat a peanut butter cookie and a police car drove right up. The car drove past , then I sewed her up.
I like it when the yarnbombs get to be in a newspaper. I thought it would be fun to yarnbomb the Asheville Citizen Times while I was in Asheville. They didn’t write anything but this cool French blog did Read it here.
Leanne Prain of the book “Yarnbombing” that fired me up writes about yarnbombing on her blog “Yarnbombing” we were included in her “Global Yarnbombing Roundup” Here.